2 Peter 3-4 1. Everything that we need for life and godliness is already given to us by His Divine Power (Eph. 1:19-20) through the knowledge of God and our Lord Jesus Christ.(vs 2)
2. And in that knowledge are given “great and precious promises that by these you might be partakers of the Divine Nature.” (Eph. 3:19; Col. 2:8-10; 1 John 3:1-3)
3. “Having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.” (Gal. 1:3-4)
But we have a problem: 1 Corinthians 1:9-16 1. Again, the blessings of the “things which God hath prepared for them that love Him” exceed human understanding.
2. Vs 9 Such blessing has never even entered the heart of man!!
3. Vs 11 “The things of God NO MAN KNOWS, but the Spirit of God, Whom we have received of God, that we might know the things freely given to us of God. (John 16:13-16)
4. Vs 16 “But we have the mind of Christ.” And this is 1 John 5:20!!! This Spirit of God given to us that we may “Know Him, that is TRUE, and we are IN HIM that is TRUE, even IN His Son, Jesus Christ. This is the TRUE God and Eternal Life”.
Hebrews 10:12-20 This is the Sprit of the New Covenant,
1. Vs 12-14 The Covenant that IS the MAN Christ Jesus (Isa. 42:6, 49:8; Gal. 3:16-17)
2. Vs 15-22 This Spirit, is the Spirit of Sonship (Gal. 4:4-7), the Spirit of the “The New and Living Way” (Vs 20, 8:13, 2 Cor. 5:17), Vs 15 The Spirit that Witnesses within us the New Covenant Promise of the Father!!! (16-23, Jer. 31:33-34)
Ezekiel 26:25-27 This is the Father’s Spirit that He promised to put within His people, to “cause you to walk in my statutes (laws), and you shall keep my judgements and do them.”
And that brings us to Romans 8:2: “For the LAW OF THE SPIRIT OF LIFE IN CHRIST JESUS (operation of the Father’s Spirit in our hearts) has made me free from the law of sin and death.”
Vs 4 “That the Righteousness of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.”
But first things first:Unless we know and believe the truth of 1a, the truth of rest of Romans 8 does not belong to us!! Vs 9 Only those who are IN CHRIST JESUS have the Spirit of Christ dwelling in them.
Hebrews 4:12-16 The Spirit’s continually gracious and active “law work” in our heart’s.
1. Eph. 6:17 The Word of God is the Spirit’s surgical tool, it cuts both ways!! It reveals sin and brings life.
2. 4:12 It “divides soul and spirit”. We don’t understand the difference at first. But the Spirit makes the distinction between what is of the first man Adam (1 Cor. 15:45, the living soul) and the last Adam (a life giving Spirit). This is usually very uncomfortable!!
3. “And joints and marrow”. Our flesh and it’s lusts govern so much of our activity (joints). We hardly have ever given a thought to the “whys” of behavior other that to feed our ego’s. But the Spirit gets down to the very marrow, the root of things and “breeds white blood cells” to fight the infections of the flesh.
4. “Thoughts and Intents of the heart”. This is painful, the stuff of our Lord’s Sermon on the Mount! (Matt.5-6). Vs 13 This is life lived before the Father Who sees in secret!
5. Vs 14-16 But if Romans 8:1 is true of us, Never fear, we have a Great High Priest, our Advocate with the Father.(1 John 2:1-3) We are to find ourselves continually at His Throne of Grace and Mercy. Remember, this is the Spirit of Adoption whereby we cry Abba Father!!!